We love seafood in my family and we’ve been making this delicious Baked Crab Cake Recipe for years. It kind of evolved from the recipe you find on the back of the crab meat container, which was good but not flavorful enough and too dry. So we tweaked it and came up with a tried and true combo that is fantastic. We just had it for Valentine’s Day dinner. This is a perfect meal for a special occasion (because let’s be honest – crab meat is pricey).
My secret ingredient? Veggies! Diced peppers and onions sauteed in butter make this recipe moist and flavorful.
You’ll combine all of the other ingredients except the crab meat in one bowl. Then fold in the meat so you don’t shred it up. We use two types of crab meat, one a little chunkier and one more flaky.That is really just to balance the cost. If you want to splurge and get 16oz. of jumbo lump, go for it! But don’t be afraid to get a less pricey variety, like backfin and claw meat.
Finally, fold in the sauteed veggies. Make sure they’ve cooled a bit so you don’t scramble the eggs in the recipe.
Then form your crab cakes and place them on a sheet pan. They don’t spread like cookies, so don’t worry about crowding them in there. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and dig in! I love mine with tartar sauce, and these are pretty rich so you can go light on the sides if you want to keep the rest of the meal simple. We served them with steamed yellow squash and it was perfect.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 16 oz of crab meat
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice + a squeeze on the veggies
- 3 teaspoons yellow mustard
- ¾ cup Italian Style breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon season salt
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Saute the diced onion and peppers in the butter. Add 1 teaspoon of the Worcestershire sauce. Squeeze a wedge of your fresh lemon onto the veggies while cookie. Saute until tender. Turn heat off and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the other ingredients except the crab meat.
- Once well mixed, gently stir in crab meat. Be careful to not break it all up into tiny pieces.
- Fold in the sauteed vegetables until well combined. If your mixture looks too wet to hold together into crab cakes, sprinkle more breadcrumbs into the bowl. Go slow because too many breadcrumbs will dry them out.
- Shape the mixture into 10 crab cakes (you might get 12 of of them if you make them smaller) and place on a sheet pan to bake.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve with lemon wedges, cocktail, and tartar sauce.
You might also like these recipes for sides to go with your crab cakes:
- Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Purple Parsley Potatoes Recipe
- Sliced Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts With Lemon
- Spinach Apple Salad with Curried Pecans