This post is in partnership with GIANT Food Stores. The opinions in this post are 100% mine. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Mmmm…grilling season is here! This is my favorite time of year for obvious reasons but being able to cook and eat outside is a special treat my family loves. Grilled Barbecue Chicken is one of our favorites and so I’m pretty thrilled that I was able to get an awesome deal at GIANT Food Stores this week on barbecue sauce.
For the next 2 weeks GIANT is running their popular Buy Theirs, Get Ours Free promo. Purchase select name brand items and get the GIANT brand item for FREE! That’s free food, and many of the name brand items are already on sale so this is a great time to shop!
Buy Theirs Get Ours June 2-8, 2017
- Applegate Organic Beef Hotdogs get Nature’s Promise Organic Grassfed Beef Hotdogs
- Bush’s Baked Beans get GIANT Baked Beans
- Golden’s Mustard get GIANT Spicy Brown Mustard
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce get GIANT Barbecue Sauce
The first things that I grabbed this week are the baked beans and the barbecue sauce. Such a good deal! The thing that’s great about this promo is that obviously you are getting free food, but it also gives you a risk-free chance to try the GIANT store brand products and see that they really are just as good, if not better, than name brand items. I often buy the GIANT brand because it saves me money and no one knows the difference!
Here’s what’s coming up next week:
Buy Theirs Get Ours June 9-15, 2017
- Claussen Pickles get GIANT Own Brand pickles
- Kingford Charcoal get Smart Living Charcoal
- Vanity Fair Napkins get GIANT Own Brand Elegant Napkins
- Ziploc Sandwich or Snack bags get GIANT Own Brand Sandwich or snack bags
Lots of great options that are going to come in handy for your summer cookouts. And speaking of that, GIANT Bonus Card members, be sure to grab your FREE Savory magazine either in the lobby or at customer service. I can’t tell you how many great recipes I’ve gotten out of these magazines. Plus it’s jam packed with coupons!
Now let’s get to how I used the GIANT Barbecue Sauce to make the best BBQ chicken this weekend!
How to Grill Barbecue Chicken
To give your chicken a little seasoning before you cook it, coat it in canola oil and salt, pepper, and paprika. We have a Montreal Grill Seasoning that we like to use once in a while too. Feel free to use what you like best.
I bought a Nature’s Promise griller pack because I love GIANT’s organic line and this gave us a variety of chicken pieces, but the directions will be the same no matter what cut you buy.
After you let that chicken absorb some flavor for about an hour, it’s time to grill ‘er up! Place it over medium heat.
After about a half hour the chicken should be pretty well done and look like this (this is a skin-on piece).
Move your chicken to the top rack if you have one, or leave it on the main grill but turn the heat to low. Brush it with barbecue sauce.
We used the free GIANT Barbecue Sauce that was offered during this Buy Theirs Get Ours promo, and it’s delicious! Tangy and so flavorful. No one would ever guess it’s a store brand product.
Here are some more detailed instructions on how to grill barbecue chicken:
- Chicken pieces (I used a Nature's Promise Organic Griller Pack, bone in/skin on but you can do boneless skinless if you prefer)
- Canola oil
- Barbecue Sauce (I used GIANT Brand)
- Place all chicken pieces in a large bowl.
- Coat with enough canola oil to cover all pieces (a couple of tablespoons or so). You want the seasonings to stick to them.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Use tongs (or you hands) to coat chicken evenly with oil and seasonings.
- Put plastic wrap over the chicken and put it in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Place chicken on the grill. Start bone side down with the chicken breast. Rotate drumsticks every 5 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts after about 15 minutes. If your grill is flaring up with flames, turn the heat down a bit. The lid should be closed during cooking times. Just open it to flip.
- After a half hour total cooking time, check to see if the chicken is done. Juices will run clear or check for an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- If your grill has a top rack, raise the chicken to the top rack and brush it with barbecue sauce. If it doesn't have a top rack, turn the heat down to low and brush the barbecue sauce onto the pieces.
- Let the barbecue sauce caramelize for about 3 minutes on one side with the grill lid closed.
- Flip the chicken and add more barbecue sauce. Close the lid and let cook for another 3 minutes.
When it’s done it will look like this, with the barbecue sauce kind of caramelized onto the meat. Sticky and delicious!
The drumsticks are my favorite part. Be sure to grab some of this GIANT Barbecue Sauce while you can get it free and try this recipe!
Stay up to speed with all the latest special offers by following GIANT Food Stores’ Facebook and Twitter pages! And if you don’t have their free app yet, get it. I save a bundle every week by using it!