For most of the country this weekend is the start of Daylight Savings and we’ll be setting our clocks ahead an hour. It’s always a bummer to lose an hour of sleep (especially when you don’t get enough anyway, like me), but I for one will take it if it means that Spring is around the corner. I’m all done with winter and can’t wait for some warmer days. I’m ready to pack those hats and gloves away for the year.
In addition to setting your clocks ahead by one hour before you go to bed tonight, Daylight Savings is a good time to take care of a few other tasks around the house. These are some of the things we’re planning to do over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you want to do them at your house, too:
Daylight Savings Tips: 11 Things to Do When You Set Your Clocks Ahead
- Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Change the furnace filter.
- Check the salt level in the water softener and fill ‘er up if needed.
- Think about your spring garden. Is it time to plant any early veggies in your neck of the words?
- If you fertilize your yard in the spring, grab a bag of pre-emergent fertilizer to prevent new weeds from popping up. Our local stores have lots of coupons and rebates out right now.
- Now that the major snows are over, wash the salt off of your car. Do your tires need air? Is your car emergency kit well-stocked?
- Speaking of kissing winter goodbye, do you need any winter supplies? They’ll be discounted right around now and this is the time to replace your broken snow shovel rather than waiting until next season when you’ll pay more.
- Spring cleaning! Okay, I’m not a big fan of cleaning but I do get inspired by warmer weather to freshen things up. Make a list of your cleaning and organizing projects and tackle them one-by-one.
- Piggybacking on the cleaning and organizing tip above, start thinking about a spring yard sale. It’s time to purge! Get a couple of totes, label them ‘sell’ and ‘donate’ and start going through your cupboards and closets. Feels so good to get rid of stuff you don’t need! I consign twice a year at Just Between Friends and totally cash in on these sales!
- If you haven’t planned your summer vacation, get on it. Don’t wait until it’s so late that you have trouble finding a reservation.
- And last but not least, get your taxes done. That one is my personal favorite (insert sarcasm emoticon here).
Hope you all have a great weekend and get a lot accomplished with plenty of time for some fun!