This Slow Cooker Turkey Chili recipe is perfect for a fall day!
Fall is definitely in the air here in Pennsylvania. I’m loving it! This is maybe my favorite time of year in-part because of all the yummy comfort food that comes with it. This is when we break out the slow cooker on a regular basis and I can’t tell you how much I love avoiding that 5 o’clock what’s-for-dinner scramble. This Slow Cooker Turkey Chili recipe is easy to make, hearty, and healthy. It’s perfect for game day or for a Sunday dinner with family and friends. And if you guessed that it’s even better on day 2, you guessed right.
Yum. Doesn’t it look delicious? Soooo good. Kudos to my husband for putting this one together for us last weekend. Whatcha making next, honey?
- 1lb. ground turkey (or one package, some are a little over a pound)
- 2 40-oz. cans kidney beans (I like to use one dark red and one light red)
- 4 onions, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 4 diced tomatoes or 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbl chili powder
- 1 tbl cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbl paprika
- Saute the ground turkey in a pan or wok over medium high heat and add the chopped onions and spices. I like to get the meat started first and then chop it finely with a spatula, adding the onions and spices a couple of minutes after the turkey is started.
- Add the chopped celery and cook for two minutes before adding the jalapenos and garlic last. Remember to avoid touching your eyes and wash your hands thoroughly if you’ve touched the jalapenos. Saute until the turkey is cooked and then turn off the heat.
- Use a spatula to transfer the mixture from the saute pan to the slow cooker. Make sure to get all of the spice mixture out of the bottom of the pan as it will add flavor to the chili.
- Set the slow cooker to cook on low heat. Mix in the tomatoes and cook for an hour before adding the kidney beans. Mix again.
- Cook for at least 6 hours. Longer cooking times tend to intensify the flavors.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, scallions or a splash of vinegar if desired.