The VTech product, gift card, information, and additional gift pack have been provided by VTech to facilitate this review. The opinions in this post are 100% mine. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I have a Kindle Fire that I love for indulging my bookworm tendencies. My kids like to snag it when they can to play games and I’m always careful to keep a close watch on them when they do. My Kindle has Internet access that I don’t have restricted so I have to make sure I know what they’re doing when they’re on it. A kid-friendly tablet that I know is safe would be a lifesaver, so I was really excited to learn more about the VTech InnoTab Max and have the opportunity to review one and share it with you. My kids are having a ton of fun with this! This video is a great intro to what makes this tablet different and perfect for kids:
VTech’s InnoTab MAX — An Educator’s Perspective
Educational, engaging content and my kids are safe online. Check, check.
The box is comes in provides some useful info about the InnoTab Max as well as everything you need to get started. It is a rechargeable device – NO BATTERIES!! I love that. So much.
This is what you’ll find inside: The InnoTab Max tablet, a quick start guide showing you how to get it up and running fast, the cable and charger to recharge your device, and a software preview that you can pop in the back to take a look at some of the available games before you purchase them.
In addition to just being a great learning toy that I know is safe for my kids, here are three features that I really like as a parent. First, the cover has a rubbery, non-slip edge to it so you can prop it up without it sliding flat. The cover itself is so smart because it means your screen is protected and you don’t need to buy a separate case. In the middle photo you can see the handle that makes it easy to carry for little hands. And finally on the right you can see the stylus has a string that attaches it to the tablet. A piece of advice: You have to attach it yourself. It comes with the stylus and string but they aren’t attached. Do this right away. My kids immediately lost the stylus (which we later recovered!) and I wish I had just tied that on there as soon as I opened it up.
It’s a little tricky to take a picture of a screen with a backlight but this is what the kids’ screen looks like. Some of the icons: e-books, games, art studio, camera, videos, music, and more. Here are some of the features that make this tablet a stand-out:
- VTech’s 4th generation kids’ learning tablet features its fastest processor yet with up to six times the processing power of previous generation and a 7” high-resolution multi-touch screen display
- InnoTab MAX offers the best of both learning worlds with access to more than 650 educator-endorsed, age and stage appropriate learning titles as well as carefully cultivated educational Android apps that can be purchased and downloaded through VTech’s Learning Lodge® app store
- The tablet comes with 15 onboard apps including Premium VTech® Kid Connect, My Magic Beanstalk, Movie Maker, Art Studio, Wonder Cam Max, E-Reader with Story Dictionary and more
- InnoTab MAX also comes with one free Toca Boca app and two additional free apps that can be downloaded from the Learning Lodge
- Other InnoTab MAX features include a built-in rechargeable Lithium battery and kid-safe Wi-Fi so kids can explore appropriate online games, videos and websites that have been pre-selected by VTech
- Parental controls allow parents to manage their child’s apps, web access and tablet time, as well as view a progress log
See that icon at the bottom, second from the left? That’s called Kid Connect and it’s like a messaging app for kids to be able to stay in touch with their parents. The video below has a great demo:
VTech Kid Connect — An Educator’s Perspective
Really cool, isn’t it? My kids love being able to send me a note at any time.
This is the parental control screen which requires a 4-digit passcode to get to. Here you can turn on time limits, control the wi-fi connection, add other users, and more. You really have a hand in managing what your child is doing on this tablet which I like.
My kids have really enjoyed playing with the VTech InnoTab Max and I feel secure that they are engaging in educational games and staying safe online which is so important to me. I limit their screen time but when it’s freezing out or we’re traveling, they do use tablets and knowing that I don’t have to watch them like a hawk while they’re on them allows me to carrying doing what I need to do without wondering if they’re mindlessly staring at a screen or getting into something they’re not supposed to. This is a great toy for kids AND parents. Perfect gift to add to your holiday shopping list!
VTech is generously offering one of my readers their own VTech InnoTab Max! This giveaway is open to US residents ages 18+ and will end at 11:59pm ET on December 2, 2014.