My husband made us this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie recipe for the first time a couple of years ago and my daughter has been regularly requesting it ever since. This is one of those lazy Sunday dinners. It’s so, so good, the perfect comfort food.
Start by cooking the chicken in the crock pot, and then add the veggies as directed in the recipe. Once the whole mixture is cooked you pour it into the pie filling and bake it to finish it off.
The very best thing about this recipe (next to how delicious it is, of course!) is that it makes a LOT. We always plan on getting at least two pot pies out of it and this last time we made it we got three! So be prepared with extra pie crust or plan to freeze it and have a quick dinner all ready for you some cold night when you don’t feel like cooking. 😉
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1lb. Carrots - chopped into 1-2" pieces
- 4 Onions - chopped into 1-2" pieces
- 6 Red Potatoes - chopped into 1-2" pieces
- 1lb. Frozen Peas
- 1lb. Frozen Corn
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Prepared Pie Crusts (usually 2 per box, so 1 box)
- Rinse chicken, stuff with clove of garlic, quartered onion and a couple carrots, sprinkle with poultry seasoning.
- In slow cooker, add chicken, chicken broth and bay leaf.
- Set on high for 6 hours.
- After 4 hours, add additional carrots, onions and potatoes.
- After 5 hours, add peas and corn.
- After 6 hours, pull the chicken from the bones, discarding the bones and excess skin (leave some skin in if desired), shredding or chopping into bite size pieces as needed. We pulled the chicken out with tongs and set it on a cutting board to cut the meat off.
- Add the chicken back to the mix in the slow cooker.
- Follow directions on prepared pie crust to preheat oven.
- Place the bottom crust into a pie pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, add the chicken and vegetables from the slow cooker to the lower crust. Add some liquid as needed, but don't overfill.
- Cover the filling with the upper pie crust, pinching the top crust to the edge of the lower crust around the edge of the pie pan.
- Cut 3 small slits (like a spoke) in the top crust.
- Place in oven (following directions on pie crust package) until crust begins to brown (about 20 minutes at 450 for the Pillsbury crust we used)
- Remove, let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.