If you’ve been shopping on Amazon in the last 24 hours you may have noticed that there’s been a significant change in their Super Saver Shipping guidelines. Until now it’s been that qualifying items will ship for free with a minimum of a $25 purchase. That minimum was just bumped up to $35. *Sigh* What’s an Amazon shopper to do?
Amazon’s minimum order size for free shipping has changed to $35. This is the first time in more than a decade that Amazon has altered the minimum order for free shipping in the US. During that time, we have expanded free shipping selection by millions of items across all 40 product categories. Look for “FREE Shipping” on product pages to discover eligible items.
You have three choices:
- Pay shipping on orders less than $35.
- Make sure every order you place is a minimum of $35 to avoid shipping fees.
- Sign up for Amazon Prime at $79 a year.
If you’re a regular Amazon shopper as I am, my advice is to go with a Prime membership. I’ve been a Prime member for nearly a year now and it will be time for me to renew soon and I definitely will. It’s been well worth it to me, especially over the holidays.
Here are my top 6 reasons why Amazon Prime is worth the cost:
- If you’re a last minute shopper free 2-day shipping is priceless. This is totally me. Amazon Prime gets you free 2-day shipping which I take full advantage of. I wait til the last minute to buy birthday and Christmas gifts so I rely on this quick ship time.
- I actually spend less when I don’t have to put together a $35 order to get free shipping. I can just order what I want and ONLY what I want without shopping for items to pad my order to avoid shipping charges.
- You get tons of free Kindle books! There are over 350,000 books in the lending library that you can borrow for free. This is how I got hooked on Harry Potter!
- Get unlimited instant streaming of over 41,000 videos instant videos.
- I can take advantage of flash price drops as soon as I see them. Over the holidays especially Amazon can drop their prices like a rock and raise them back up just as quickly. When I don’t have to spend the time to piece together a $35 order and can just grab that one item I see on sale it makes it easier to get a great deal.
- If you’re new to Prime you can start with a FREE 30-day trial!
It’s a bummer that the Super Saver shipping cost has increased to $35, but if you were on the fence about a Prime membership this is the perfect time to take the leap. Not only can you not worry about making a bigger order now to get free shipping, but the holiday shopping season is upon us which is probably when you’ll be doing most of your Amazon shopping.