I was provided with a complimentary copy of Despicable Me 2 to facilitate this review. The opinions in this post are 100% mine. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Despicable Me 2 on Blu-Ray comes out on December 10, just in time for Christmas! My whole family loves this movie. I think Steve Carell is an absolute riot as Gru and not only will this movie make you laugh hysterically, it has so many sweet spots that make you say , “Aw.” We love the minions and those sweet girls, and this movie has a great new addition to the Despicable Me family, Lucy!
Gru, his adorable girls, and the mischievous Minions are back with a cast of unforgettable new characters in the blockbuster sequel to the worldwide phenomenon. Just as Gru has given up being super-bad to be a super-dad, the Anti-Villain League recruits him to track down a new criminal mastermind and save the world. Partnered with secret agent Lucy Wilde, Gru, along with the wildly unpredictable Minions, must figure out how to keep his cover while also keeping up with his duties as a father. Assemble the Minions for laugh-out-loud comedy in “one of the funniest, most enjoyable movies ever!” (MovieGuide®)
Despicable Me 2 Bonus Features
The Bonus Features are what really enhance the DVD version of a movie and this DVD is right full of fun bonuses. You’ll get your minion fix for sure!
Bonus Features Exclusive to Blu-ray™ Combo Pack & Blu-ray 3D™ Combo Pack.
- Three All-New Mini-Movies Starring the Minions—Introduced by Gru
- Panic in the Mailroom
- Training Wheels
- The Making of the Mini-Movies—A fun-filled take on the making of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them.
- Deleted Scene
- The Minions—A visit to Illumination Entertainment in Paris and Los Angeles to hear what it’s really like to work with the Minions.
- Evil Minions—Bigger, badder and more purple than ever, the newest and fiercest addition to the Minion species can chew through metal and swallow a car. Find out more about the process that led to their creation and design.
- A Gru-Some Transformation—A sit-down with Steve Carell as he discusses the transformation of Gru from the ultimate super-villain to super-dad and international spy.
- El Hombre Malo: The Villainy Of El Macho—Every great story needs a good villain, and Despicable Me 2 brings on the diabolico in the form of El Macho! Learn about the creation of this character and the actor who brought him to life—Benjamin Bratt.
Bonus Features on Blu-ray™ & DVD
- Gru’s Girls—Miranda Cosgrove, Elsie Kate Fisher and Dana Gaier weigh in on working with Steve Carell and playing the daughters of a world-famous super-villain!
- Gadgets Galore—Lipstick tasers, magnet ships, foam dart dispensers and jelly guns—these are the nifty gadgets of Despicable Me 2. Illumination Entertainment pulls back the curtain on what it takes to build a world that would leave even James Bond envious.
- Feature Commentary With Directors Chris Renaud & Pierre Coffin
Some of our favorite bonus features are the Gru-Some Transformation and El Hombrea Malo. My kids absolutely love the bonus mini-movies of the minions! Here’s a sneak peek of one of them.
Despicable Me 2 Minion Mini-Movie Sneak Peek
This is the Panic in the Mailroom clip and it’s hilarious! Those minions…love them!
Some Despicable Me 2 Family Fun!
Just click on the image above for a great recipe and some more minion fun for the kids!
So what did we think of Despicable Me 2 on Blu-Ray?
We love it! Seriously, I can’t tell you how many times my kids have watched this one. Every time I let them turn on a movie this is their top choice, especially for my 4 year-old son. I swear he’s started speaking Minion. He talks in this little language that I can’t always understand and I think he may actually be a minion. He’s cute, I won’t complain. 😉
The movie is hilarious for both kids and adults, and it’s got such a great story line and every character is brilliantly developed. I don’t have one negative thing to say about it! The Bonus Features just add to the fun, and there are a bunch on this Blu-Ray pack. I always think it’s so cool to get all these behind-the-scenes looks and learn more about the film.
Despicable Me 2 on Blu-Ray would be perfect gift this holiday season! Grab it for your family and bring some minion cheer to your neck of the woods!