This Strawberry Poke Cake recipe is my favorite for summertime! It is so easy to make because you start with a boxed cake mix. The kids can do most of the work!
It’s great anytime (take it to a cookout and you’ll be the star of the show!), but we especially love to decorate it like a flag and serve it on Memorial Day or July 4th.
It’s delicious and festive and seriously about the easiest Fourth of July dessert recipe you’ll find. My kids helped me decorate it and we had fun doing it together. We had more fun eating it though!
Bake your cake (I used a box mix but if you’re feeling ambitious go for homemade), poke holes in it, pour the Jell-O mixture on top and then refrigerate for a few hours before you decorate the top. See? Easy peasy! And isn’t it pretty?!
- One box of white cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake per package directions (water, oil, eggs)
- One box of red Jell-O gelatin, 4 serving size (I used strawberry, but you could use anything red or even blue!)
- 1 cup of boiling water, ½ cup of cold water
- One tub of Cool Whip, defrosted
- Strawberries, sliced
- Bake the cake per package instructions. Allow to cool for one hour until completely cool.
- Use a fork and poke holes all over the top of the cake, about an half inch to an inch apart.
- Stir the Jell-O gelatin mix into the boiling water until it's completely dissolved. Then add the cold water and stir again.
- Pour the gelatin mixture over top of the cake, taking care to cover the entire surface. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours. I left mine in the fridge overnight and finished it off the next morning.
- When the cake is cold, use a spatula to scoop the entire tub of Cool Whip out on top of the cake and ice the cake with it.
- Then arrange your blueberries and strawberries to look like a flag. I got 5 rows of 10 blueberries in the top left corner and 4 rows of strawberry sliced.
- Dig in! It's SOOOOO good!