I had Cowboy Caviar for the first time when my sister made it for a get together many years ago. It was a huge hit with the family and we’ve been making regularly since then. It’s a hit at any party we take it to. Grab the recipe below and serve it up at your next get together!
How to Make Cowboy Caviar
Easy Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Cowboy Caviar is all about fresh, delicious ingredients AND it’s easy to make and serve. As recipes often do, this one has evolved and we’ve added and removed ingredients. Okay, mostly added. The more color the better, right? It’s such a pretty dip.
Get yourself a good ‘scoopy’ shaped chip so they’re perfect for hauling a load of Cowboy Caviar from the bowl to your yapper. Here’s the recipe. So easy – just chop up the ingredients and stir it up!
- 15 oz can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 oz can sweet corn, drained
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. I added another splash of vinegar.
- Refrigerate at least one hour, preferably overnight to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Serve with assorted Saffron Road Lentil Chips and Crackers.
Do try to plan ahead for when you’re going to need this. It’s definitely best if you let it sit overnight and let the flavors combine a bit.
Feel free to get creative with it! My husband is chowing down right next to me while I’m writing and saying he wishes we would have put more jalapeno in it. I’m thinking about adding an avocado to a serving tomorrow for lunch. (If you want to try that, just do it right before you eat it to one serving at a time or it will turn brown in the dip.)
Cowboy Caviar is a perfectly filling and healthy snack. Gluten-free, vegetarian, and with the protein in the beans it will leave you feeling satisfied.