One of my favorite kitchen items is my cast iron skillet. I use this thing as much as possible because I can generally make one-pot meals in it (easy!) and it gives everything such great flavor.
In many families, mine included, Friday night is pizza night, and I got sick of giving the local pizza shop $28 a week. So I started making my own cast iron skillet pizza and my kids like it waaaaaay better. And it’s way cheaper for me to make!
Here’s a quick video demo on how fast this comes together!
So easy, right? We love it. You only need a few ingredients and it’s ready in just a few minutes.
Some people are ambitious and make their own pizza dough. My local grocery store sells hunks of dough for a couple of bucks, so that’s just as easy for me. Most pizza shops will sell you raw dough as well. The only things you need for this recipe are dough, pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil (that’s optional but it’s good!), and olive oil.
The directions are below and this is so easy. I didn’t include really firm measurements because this just isn’t that kind of a recipe. Generally one ball of dough will make you one pizza. You can probably try to stretch it to two pizzas, too. Dough that is closer to room temp rather than right out of the fridge has a bit more stretch in it.
This stuff is pretty dense so for a family of 4, I make two of them because we like leftovers and I often get an entire pizza to save for day two.
One can or jar of pizza sauce will get you through two pizzas, and one ball of mozzarella will also easily get you through two pizza with some likely left over. And if you want to make two pizzas, you won’t need to coat the pan with olive oil more than once.
Easy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza Recipe
- Pizza Dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Freshly chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 12" cast iron skillet with the olive oil.
- Spread the pizza dough out evenly in the pan.
- Top with pizza sauce, spreading with the back of a spoon almost to the edge. Just leave a crust.
- Top with mozzarella slices.
- Place the skillet on the stove over medium-high heat until the bottom of the crust begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Top with basil. Enjoy!
It looks delicious, doesn’t it? We love it! Let me know what you think if you give it a whirl. Pizza night is BACK!