These Chewy 7-Layer Cookie Bars are one of my favorite desserts. The recipe originally comes from Eagle Brand who makes the sweetened condensed milk in it (so good!). We had these as a treat a lot in my house growing up and now I’ve started making them for my kids. My daughter is like me: LOVES them! My son is turned off by the coconut which I can understand because I’m not a big coconut fan myself. Although you can taste it in this recipe, it just adds to the chewiness and not so much the flavor. Doesn’t bother me one bit. These bars are amazing!
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter, melted
- 1 14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk (I used Eagle Brand)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of butterscotch chips
- 1 1/3 cup of flaked coconut
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. (You can line it with aluminum foil first before spraying if you'd like. Makes it a bit easier to get the bars out of the pan after they're cooked, though I didn't do this and didn't have a problem.) Set aside.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter, using a fork to stir until they're well mixed. This is the crust on the bottom of the cookie bars. Dump it into your pan and use your fingers to press it evenly all over the bottom.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top of the graham cracker crust. Try to spread it out as you're pouring. Tilt the pan as needed to get it to run over every bit of the crust.
- Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans on top.
- Use the back of a fork to gently press all the toppings down into the sweetened condensed milk so they 'stick' in place.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you see the coconut and nuts start to brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting.