I am a Peanuts Brand Ambassador sharing exclusive content from Snoopy and the gang! I was provided with a couple of gifts as a participant in this promotion. The opinions in this post are 100% mine. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Easter is March 27 and my are so excited! Not only is this a meaningful holiday for us, but it’s also fun. Snoopy knows what I mean – he’s the Easter Beagle! Yes, our favorite chameleon beagle will be happily hopping from yard to yard, beagle-ears flapping, delivering brightly colored Easter eggs (and a beagle kiss or two) from his Easter basket. I’ll take a beagle kiss. He’s SO cute!!
Here are some fun facts about the history of the Easter Beagle (courtesy the Peanuts Wiki: peanuts.wikia.com):
- Snoopy first appeared as “the Easter Bunny” on April 14, 1968, but Charles Schulz did not give the character the name “the Easter Beagle” until three years later.
- In that first 1968 strip, Linus was the only one to witness “the Easter Bunny” dancing around the front yard and hiding eggs in the bushes—Lucy was too busy watching television to notice.
- On Sunday, April 11, 1971, the Easter Beagle made his official comic-strip debut. Again, Linus was the first one to interact with him (although it’s Lucy who gets the Beagle kiss!).
Charles Schulz once said in an interview that the Easter Beagle was his favorite of all of Snoopy’s alter egos!
A TV Star Is Born
- The Easter Beagle made his television debut on April 9, 1974, when CBS first aired It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown.
- This was the 12th animated special to be based on the Peanuts comic strip, and the fourth to be associated with a holiday (the others are A Charlie Brown Christmas, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving).
The folks at Peanuts are generously offering one of my readers an Easter Beagle Prize Pack just like the one that I received! This will include 2 candy bags, The Easter Beagle movie, and the Snoopy plush porch greeter. So fun! This giveaway is open to US residents ages 18+ only and will end at 11:59pm ET on March 21, 2016.
Good luck and happy Easter!