Now that it’s feeling like winter here in Pennsylvania my kids are asking me for hot chocolate on a regular basis. I love it too, so this past weekend I whipped up a homemade batch of Dark Chocolate Hot Chocolate (recipe coming soon!) and to go with it made these Candy Cane White Chocolate Hot Chocolate Stirrers. They are so pretty they could be used as a little table decoration at a holiday party, but of course they’re best when eaten, especially with hot chocolate!
They’re very quick and easy to make with only 3 ingredients. Work over a tray when you can to keep the mess to a minimum.
So adorable! My kids were thrilled to have something special to stir their hot chocolate with.
- White chocolate candy melts (I found them in the bulk food section of my grocery store. Craft stores sell them.)
- Candy canes
- Christmas sprinkles
- Melt candy melts. Put about a ¼ cup at a time in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second increments, stirring between each heating. After three increments my chocolate was melted. Stir rapidly to make it smooth.
- Working right over the bowl of melted chocolate, use a spoon to cover the straight part of the candy cane in white chocolate. Use the back of the spoon to smooth it out, but it doesn't need to be perfect. You're going to cover it in sprinkles! Use enough chocolate to cover the candy cane but don't make it too gloppy and thick or it will drip while drying and you'll lose some of the sprinkles you put on in the next step.
- Working over a sheet pan so you don't get sprinkles all over your floor, cover the chocolate part of the candy canes in sprinkles of your choice. The more the merrier!
- Lay the candy canes out to dry on a baking sheet covered with wax paper so they don't stick. I had good luck hanging the hooked end of the candy cane over the edge of the tray so only the very end of the candy cane was touching the wax paper on the tray. (See picture above.)
- Serve as a stirrer for your favorite hot chocolate...or eat them as is!