It’s football season! Need some yummy game-day food? This Vidalia Onion Cheese Dip is a winning recipe from my Mom’s kitchen. It’s perfect for a get-together and great served with those scoop shaped tortilla chips. It’s really easy to make too with only a few basic ingredients. And did I mention that it’s delicious?
Two more bonuses: You can make it ahead of time and cook before serving, and the leftovers are great, too. I’ll scoop out just a little dish and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and just have a bite. Yum! Enjoy!
- 3 large Vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (sharp or not, up to you!)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ - 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the bottom and sides of a 1.5qt. casserole dish.
- In a large saute pan (I used a wok) melt the butter and cook the onions over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until the onions are tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour onion dip into the casserole dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top. Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite crackers. Makes 4 cups.
- Note: You can prep the whole thing ahead of time and bake it just before serving. Just refrigerate until you're ready to bake, and take it out of the fridge about 10 minutes before you bake it just to take the chill off so it warms completely.
Go Here Next: