My Mom always made these Spinach and Feta Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms for special occasions and they are SO good. I remember
demanding requesting to have them at my baby shower and this was coming up on 11 years ago! So this is one of those keeper recipes. I finally weaseled the recipe out of my mom and have it to share with you.
It’s pretty easy but does require a little prep work. You need to take the stems out of the mushrooms and wash them up. I just rinse them in the sink and use a wet paper towel to remove any dirt. Let them drain and dry while you’re chopping the other ingredients.
Then stuff those babies FULL! Really, fill ‘er up. This filling won’t run or spread so you can pile it on there. I ended up with some leftover filling and put it in a ramekin and baked it right along side of the mushrooms, same time and temp. It’s delicious as a dip with a sturdy cracker, or on a baguette.
Next time you’re entertaining, give this recipe a whirl. We love it and it’s just perfect for an appetizer or finger foods at a party. Enjoy! (Big thank you to Mom for sharing one of her best recipes with us!)
Spinach and Feta Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 - 8oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (paper towels work well to squeeze excess water out)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (you want this finely crumbled - food processor does great job)
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and finely crumbled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Remove stems from mushrooms: set caps aside. Finely chop the stems.
- In a skillet, saute the chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese til smooth Stir in the spinach, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, feta cheese, bacon, salt and mushroom mixture.
- Spoon into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Tips: Fresh Parmesan is much better and the more finely the feta and bacon are crumbled the more evenly you can distribute these flavors. The bigger the caps the better as they shrink a lot when baked. If you have more filling than mushrooms, put the remaining filling in a ramekin and bake right along side of the mushrooms to use as a dip!
Go Here Next: