We got together with my sister’s family a couple weeks ago and picked our own apples in an orchard. The kids had so much fun together and we came home with several pounds of apples I needed to find a use for. I dug out this Jewish Apple Cake recipe that my Mom gave me and whipped it up over the weekend. It’s pretty easy to make and the family is loving it!
In my opinion it’s best served heated up for about 30 seconds in the microwave and aside a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum! A perfect fall dessert.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil (I replaced this with 1 cup of applesauce to decrease the fat.)
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 4 or 5 large apples, thinly sliced (Macintosh or Granny Smith are good choices)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Chopped walnuts or pecans for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 10" bundt ban.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder until well-mixed. I used a whisk or fork to do this.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then add the oil or applesauce, and then the orange juice. Mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
- In a 3rd bowl, sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the sliced apples and stir until the apples are coated.
- Pour half the batter into the bundt pan. You may have to use the back of a spatula to spread it out a bit. Cover with half of the apple mixture. Add the rest of the cake batter, spreading it out as evenly as you can get it. Top with the remaining apples. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired. I'm not a huge fan of nuts so I skipped this step but if you like them it would be good on this cake!
- Bake for 1 hour and 30-45 minutes. I checked mine at 1 hour and 30 minutes and it wasn't quite done, but at 1 hour and 45 minutes I think had been in slightly too long. So I'd put it in for 1 hour and 30 minutes and then check it every few minutes until done.
Go Here Next: