Burrito night is our house is a weekly event that we all look forward to. I love it because is is seriously so fast and easy, and quite healthy too! Look at all those veggies! The kids love it because it’s fun to make their own burrito like it’s an art project. And we all love it because it tastes delicious. This idea evolved out of Taco Tuesday when we were making tacos for dinner every Tuesday. I realized no one really cared much about the meat so we started making veggie burritos instead.
You can definitely mix up the ingredients based on what your family likes best. I always use corn, kidney beans, and rice. Those are the three things that need to be heated up, and I do that while I’m chopping the veggies: lettuce or spinach, red onion, tomato, and avocado. I didn’t include the cheese in this pic but the kids love some shredded taco cheese, too. Prep it all and then put all your bowls, plates and serving platters out on the kitchen table like a buffet. Voila! You’ve got a burrito bar!
My husband usually just makes a salad out of it and each of the kids make their own unique combination. This is my burrito! It’s so good and the best part is how quick it is to make with so many fresh ingredients. Give it a whirl on a weeknight and tell me what you think! Maybe it will become a go-to on your weekly menu, too!
- Burrito shells, warmed for 40 seconds in microwave if you'd like.
- Lettuce and/or spinach, washed and chopped
- Tomato, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Avocado, sliced
- Canned corn, drained and heated (one minute in microwave)
- Canned kidney beans, drained and heated (one minute in microwave)
- Rice (We like Uncle Ben's Ready Rice packs. Heat for 90 sec. in microwave)
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Any other ingredients you'd like: black olives, salsa, etc.
- Prep all ingredients and place them in bowls and on plates or big serving platters and cutting boards and let everyone make their own burrito.
Go Here Next: